Here is a list of our current affiliate partners and how we earn money
Looking for sweepstakes statistics? Marketing stats are a great way to get an idea of how to design your sweepstakes or contest strategy. Some areas of your sweepstakes campaigns may need more focus than others.
In this post, we’ve gathered tons of statistics related to sweepstakes, contest, and giveaway marketing all in one place. Read on to learn more about the facts and figures of sweepstakes, social media contests, and giveaway marketing campaigns. With this knowledge about the state of giveaway marketing for 2023, these sweepstakes and contest statistics can give you some ideas on how to optimize your promotions.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- What is the success rate of digital marketing?
- How do social media users engage with brands?
- How to increase social media followers?
Key Sweepstakes Statistics & Giveaway Marketing Stats to Keep in Mind in 2023
These are the contest and sweepstakes statistics in the areas of digital marketing and experiential marketing. These contest and sweepstakes stats are designed to keep you on track. Use these marketing insights to determine if your promotions are hitting their targets.
To create this list, we looked into studies and research around:
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Growth Marketing
- Pay-per-click Marketing
- Search Engine Marketing
- Customer Experience
- Brand Marketing
- Marketing Analytics
- Data Analysis
- 61% of marketers say their biggest marketing challenges are getting traffic and lead generation. (HubSpot)
- Active promotions have a cost per click (CPC) of $0.11. (Giveaway Promotion)
- 55 million Americans participate in sweepstakes promotions each year. (ABC News)
- The 50-64 age group (48%) is more likely to have entered a sweepstakes or contest before than the 18-34 age group (39%) and the 35-49 age group. (Snipp)
- A majority of sweepers (73%) win at least USD $1,000 each year. (The Hustle)
- Carolyn Wilman (AKA, the “Contest Queen“) is one of the best known sweepers having raked in $250,000+ in her sweepstaking career. (The Hustle)
- When it comes to sweepstakes participant demographics, the likelihood of entering a sweepstakes or contest rises alongside household income and education level. (Snipp)
- Women (52%) are more likely than men (37%) to participate in online sweepstakes and contests. (Snipp)
Giveaway and Social Media Contest Statistics
- 89% of industries use video contests to promote their brands. (Wishpond)
- A Twitter contest can grow your followers by as much as 1500% in just 2 weeks. (Gleam.io)
- Running a contest with a contest co-sponsor (partner) can drive as many as 10,000 social media actions in just 24 hours, outperforming Google and Facebook Ads as a channel in ROI. (Gleam.io)
- Running a contest that prompts users to subscribe to your YouTube on the contest entry page can boost your YouTube subscribers by as much as 400%. (Gleam.io)
- 91% of the posts with 1,000 comments or more on Instagram are contests. (Tailwind)
- 94.46% of the time a new participant shares the contest as soon as they enter. Roughly 62.1% of these participants will also share the contest with a friend after entering. (Easypromos)
- A social media photo contest can bring in as many as 200,000 contest participants. (ShortStack)
- A contest call-to-action (CTA) has a 3.73% higher conversion rate than all other CTAs. (Wishpond)
- 46% of consumers say that they would endorse a brand for the Rewards (free gifts, discounts). (GWI)
- 56% of social media users are worried about missing events, important updates, and news if they are away from social media. (OptinMonster)
- 48% of consumers say that user-generated content (UGC) is a great way to discover new products. (OptinMonster)
- Bonus entry contests, also called multi-entry contests, have the highest conversion rate (28.45%) of all contest entry methods. (Wishpond)
- Caption contests are the least popular type of contest among brands, accounting for just 22% of contests. (Wishpond)
- Contests have an average of 10 fields on the contest entry form. (Small Business Trends)
Raffle Statistics / Fundraising Stats
- The top goals of running a raffle or fundraiser for most organizations are to raise money (91%), get the community involved (56%) and raise awareness (46%). (Eventgroove)
- The volunteer retention rate for non-profit organizations is 65%. (Americorps)
- 3 in 10 Gen Zs says they want brands to contribute to the local community. (GWI)
- Education and non-profits have the highest fundraising need and lead in fundraising. (Eventgroove)
- 30% of annual giving happens in December, with roughly 10% of all annual charity donations coming in the last three days of the current year. (Double the Donation)
- 25% of donors complete their donations on a mobile device. (Nonprofits Source)
- Custom branded donation pages inside a nonprofit organization’s brand website raise 6X more money. (Nonprofits Source)
Free Advertisement Maker with Templates
Canva lets you create eye-catching advertisements with their free ad maker. Customize your sweepstakes, contest, or raffle ads with trending images, fonts, and high quality design assets.
- Companies that display reviews on their brand websites receive higher conversions by 270%. (ShortStack)
- 77% of marketers who use automation software convert more leads than those that don’t use automation tools. (APSIS)
- Using visual content, such as videos, on landing pages can increase conversions by as much as 86%. (Smart Insights)
- Analyzing and optimizing landing pages can increase conversion rates by as much as 300%. (ion)
- Countdown timers and limited-time offers create FOMO, while adding timers alone resulted in an 8.6% increase in conversion rate. (OptinMonster)
- A social media contest that incorporates UGC has the potential to generate a 10X ROI. (The Hustle)
Social Media Marketing Statistics
- As of 2022, there are 4.62 billion social media users worldwide. (HootSuite)
- 70% of social media ad clickers are Gen Zs or Millennials. (GWI)
- 21% of B2B marketers attribute organic social media traffic as the channel that generates the most leads. (Ruler Analytics)
- 54% of social browsers (internet users between the ages of 16-64 who browse social media in their spare time) who say they use social media to fill up spare time say that they go to social media networks to research products and brands that they are considering buying. (GWI)
- 37% of social browsers (internet users aged 16-64 who browse social media in their spare time) have visited a brand’s website in the last month. (GWI)
- 15% of social browsers (internet users aged 16-64 who browse social media networks) in their spare time) have uploaded a photo or video to a brand’s social media profile in the last month. (GWI)
- 26% of social media users say that they usually end up buying the brands they see advertised on social media networks. (GWI)
- 57% of consumers say that they use social media while watching TV. (GWI)
- Gen Z and Millennial social media users account for 68% of product discovery searches on social media networks. (GWI)
- 46% of affluent Gen Zs or Millennials discover new brands via social media from ads, recommendations, comments, or updates on the brand’s social media pages. One in three of these affluent consumers (30%) follow brands on social media. (GWI)
Email Marketing Statistics
- The right call to action can drive conversion rates from email campaigns as high as 10-15%. (Gleam.io)
- Personalized subject lines have a 22% higher open rate. (Business 2 Community)
- Automated email messaging was responsible for 29.1% of all email marketing orders in 2022. (Omnisend)
- Order Confirmation (3.22%), Welcome (2.86%), and Abandoned Cart (2.31%) automated emails have the top conversion rates by email automation type. (Omnisend)
- Contest emails have the highest open rate at 45% compared to other email marketing campaigns. (Wishpond)
- For every $1 a brand spends on email marketing, they can expect to make $42. (Oberlo)
Mobile Marketing Statistics
- TikTok (#1), YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram, and Facebook were the top 5 apps downloaded from the Apple App Store in 2022. (Sensor Tower)
- Instagram (#1), Facebook, TikTok, Shopee, and WhatsApp were the top 5 most downloaded apps from Google Play in 2022. (Sensor Tower)
- In 2021, Afterpay and Klarna were the 3rd and 4th most downloaded apps, respectively, in the United States. (App Annie)
- Omnichannel campaigns that that involve SMS are 429% more likely to end in a conversion in comparison to single-channel campaigns. (Omnisend)
- Online purchases of “consumer goods” – namely, groceries, fashion, electronics, and other household items – increased by 18% to USD $500 million during 2021 reaching a global total of USD $3.85 trillion for the entire year. (HootSuite)
- Nearly a quarter of Gen Zs (23%) say that they often make impulse purchases, and they are the generation most likely to report doing so. (GWI)
- 14% of U.S. consumers were subscribed to clothing/accessory/cosmetic services in Q2 2021, up more than 16% year over year. (GWI)
- 42% of Millennial online shoppers say that free gifts are important when shopping online. (GWI)
- 33% of affluent consumers say that they buy a new product as soon as it’s released compared to just 16% for all other consumers. (GWI)
- Nearly 9 out of 10 consumers (88%) trust reviews and testimonials as much as a friend’s advice. (Search Engine Land)
- Giveaway participants who receive a gift card to an ecommerce store spend 72% more than the gift certificate’s value. (Woorise)
Experiential Marketing Statistics
- The experience economy, which is being driven by Millennials preferring purchasing experiences over products, is expected to reach 12 billion by 2023. (GWI)
- 31% of B2B marketers say that tracking offline conversions is one of their biggest challenges. (Ruler Analytics)
Looking Ahead: Sweepstakes and Giveaway Marketing Trends in 2023
That’s it for the digital marketing and sweepstakes statistics, but here are a few things that you should look for in giveaway marketing trends over the next few months:
- As brands’ martech spending increases, there will be more platforms available that will allow brands to blend together the best elements of giveaways, social media, entertainment, and online shopping. The metaverse in particular will likely be a part of a growing number of promotions from brands looking to move beyond the Meta hype to deliver some compelling customer experiences via sweepstakes and contests in online virtual worlds.
- As 5G mobile connectivity increases among consumers, we can expect more immersive social media contest experiences. Contest and giveaway marketers will also increasingly incorporate experiential marketing into their promotions with the goal of collecting creative UGC for future use in the brand’s marketing campaigns.
- U.S. companies are expected to increase advertising spend by USD $80 billion over the next few years, accounting for 48% of global adspend by 2024. As a result, brands should consider investing in martech that can help them acquire and retain new customers as competitive buyer keyword CPCs increase.
And we’ve finally reached the end! Hopefully, this list helps give you some greater insights as to what goes on in the world of sweepstakes, contests, and raffles. Giveaway marketing strategy allows you to leverage many different digital marketing and offline experiences to engage customers and fans.
Hopefully, this post gives you a few ideas of what to think about when planning your sweepstakes or contesting strategy for 2023. One of the most interesting takeaways from the marketing stats is how the right combination of channel, audience, and promotion can skyrocket your ROI.
Start now on your sweepstakes marketing strategy for 2023. Allow these sweepstakes statistics to give you the motivation you need to make your sweepstakes go viral in 2023. It’s the best way to attract thousands of participants!
Looking for a martech company to help you with your next promotion? Sweepsify helps you find top marketing companies in seconds. Create your free Premium account now to get started.